The Prime Minister has announced New Zealand will move to level 2 on Thursday.
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern made the announcement following a cabinet meeting this afternoon.
Life at Alert Level 2 means we can resume many of our everyday activities.
- All businesses can open if they can do it safely. This will help to get people back to work.
- We can go in-store at local businesses.
- Tertiary education facilities, schools and early learning centers will be open.
- We can travel between regions.
- We can safely connect and socialize with close friends and family.
- We can visit local restaurants, cafes and bars.
- We can return to our regular recreational activities.
- We can celebrate life’s important moments with our loved ones such as weddings, funerals, birthdays, and anniversaries.
- Small religious gatherings and ceremonies can be held with public health measures in place.
Alert Level 2 is not life as normal, some restrictions and other measures remain in place to reduce the risk of transmission.
- We need to maintain physical distancing.
- We will keep tight controls in place at our borders.
- Our wide-scale testing will continue.
- We will find and self-isolate anyone who is unwell and their close contacts.
- There will be measures in place to allow some safe travel and socializing.
- Only small, controlled gatherings will be permitted.
- Early childhood centers, schools, and tertiary organizations will see most people returning — with controls in place.
- Physical distancing, hygiene standards, and contact registers will make businesses safe.
For more about life under Alert Level 2 – visit: https://covid19.govt.nz/alert-system/alert-level-2/